For seven years, Movable Type has served me well as the software of choice for blogging my CowPi Journal. I started with version 1.something up to the latest 4.something. I went through all their growing pains, from a free application, to paid, back to free/paid versions, from simple comments and trackbacks to multiblogs and tags. I tweaked it with a few plugins along with a few of my own modifications. Unfortunately, Movable Type is based on Perl, and frankly, Perl does not play nicely with PHP. I know PHP; I don’t know Perl.
I had been exploiting a nice little bug in PHP4 that allowed me to call cgi scripts from within PHP and display the results. It worked beautifully, especially for keeping search url’s nice and pretty. But my hosting service just upgraded to PHP5, thus eliminating the bug. Oh well. I knew it would happen one day.
Please bear with the changes on this website while I tweak the theme and links and such. In the transition, I managed to keep all the tags but lost the Saint-of-the-Day for each entry. Apologies for any broken links and feeds. Spring cleaning too.